A rigless well intervention is defined as an operation performed with equipment and facilities that do not require a rig over the well, and they are typically required to optimize or reestablish well production and productivity. They can range from replacing in-well failed mechanical equipment (like for example an ESP) to changing the flow dynamics and production profiles or even well repairs. Slickline, wireline or coiled tubing are examples of rigless operations.
Rigless ESP changeout refers to systems where the ESP (gauge, motor, seal, intake, gas handler, pump and discharge) is installed or retrieved from the well thru-tubing using a conventional slickline, braided line, or coiled tubing operation. In remote, harsh or offshore environments, this methodology will provide important OPEX reductions, favorably impacting field development economics and life.
Rigless ESP techniques were initially proposed in the 1950s, however with very limited application. In the late 1990s, when TTCESP/PCP was introduced as the first thru-tubing wireline retrievable ESP system, its success provided incentives to further develop the rigless ESP changeout system.
Currently, the market offering (commercial or under development solutions) can be grouped in two:
- ESP thru-tubing, tubing deployed donnector (dock), power cable outside of tubing
- ESP thru-tubing, inverted ESP suspended from power cable (cable inside of tubing)
These groups are fundamentally different, and depending on the application, some systems will be more “rigless” than others. Some will even fall short by an important count.
Not all Rigless ESP Solutions Are “Riglessly” the Same
When considering WRESP for your development, first evaluate the following system characteristics and features:
- Compliance with well barriers policy, or different well completion designs.
- ESP changeout riglessly on a light well intervention: operation performed through slickline or wireline (for deviations exceeding 65 deg, deployment can be further supported with DH tractors).
- Live well ESP changeout through standard WHE, without the need of killing the well.
- Enabled for intervention below ESP, in particular having full thru-bore well access when ESP is removed.
Where to Look When Selecting a Rigless ESP Deployment System
If your needs are defined above, look no further, AccessESP provides a true ESP rigless changeout technology and solution.
AccessESP provides a cost-effective solution for rigless ESP deployment, offering a lifecycle solution around AccessESP wireline retrievable ESP, power delivery system and preventative maintenance program for various applications globally; this is a true rigless answer to your ESP wells.
Contact us today to learn how you can conduct a trouble-free well intervention with AccessESP technology.